Login | Register

RoboZZle Forums

Forums / Puzzles / Square Growth II

Thread for puzzle Square Growth II. Hints are OK, but please no full solutions.

That’s awesome that you found a (4,4) solution! I wanted to keep command slots consistent with the original, and now I’m glad I did. Hopefully others will see that there’s more than one way to solve it, and give it a try.

jnpollack, 2 months ago.

My solution is (4,4) but I think it is the same in general.
It is difficult to solve because it has not obvious pass and uses paint as well.

scorpio, 2 months ago.

Notes/Hints:

I was inspired by Puzzle 201, which took me a while to figure out the shortest solution. My solution for 201 is (5,2).

My solution for this puzzle is (5,3).

There's nothing random about this puzzle or the solution.

It builds systematically, clockwise, and paints a square one side at a time.
For each side, the bot paints the square, and protrudes to access every other fringe tile, but does not paint the fringe tiles until the following pass.

You know the first command since I gave it in the description. You know my solution is (5,3). You know it paints. You know that the fringes require 2 consecutive turns, and are not painted until the following pass. You know inherently, that it's a recursive puzzle, therefore F1 will be called unconditionally.

Unlike azure and edsaw (and probably other players - see Comments on Puzzle 232), I have never solved a paint puzzle using a solver (I wish I had one that solved painters!). So this puzzle is far from being unsolvable. On the contrary, with all the info above, it should be easy now. And it's pretty cool to watch.

jnpollack, 2 months ago.

Previous page (1 / 1) Next page

©2009 Igor Ostrovsky and other contributors. Terms of use