Login | Register

RoboZZle Forums

Forums / Puzzles / Thoughts on Mazhar

Thread for puzzle Thoughts on Mazhar. Hints are OK, but please no full solutions.

I’m so sorry to hear that. I always enjoyed his puzzles and attitude, and he’ll be greatly missed! My deepest sympathies to his family and friends!

softa, 1 month ago.

He came to the game late but fell in love with it and quickly became a core contributor. The Robozzle community could use more like him. He will be missed.

axorion, 1 month ago.

So sad to hear that. He always tried to make good puzzles and really liked this game.

scorpio, 1 month ago.

It is my understanding that on Saturday, April 4, 2020, Dr. Mazhar died from a heart attack. He was 46 years old. His wife messaged me using his Facebook account on April 7. I was shocked and saddened by the news. Over the course of my time playing Robozzle, I had become friends with Dr. Mazhar. He lived in Cairo, Egypt, and I live in Houston, TX; but although we never met in person, we communicated regularly via Facebook messenger - often several times a week. We shared our thoughts on the future of Robozzle and came up with theories on why the game's popularity has dwindled, and discussed ideas for how to improve the game and its popularity. I eventually contacted the game's creator, Igor Ostrovsky, to share our ideas, and Igor started a Slack channel to discuss these things, and to invite other players to join the discussion. Dr. Mazhar and I offered our support/assistance to Igor to help clean up the forum spam and even presented ideas for improvements to the game and website. Unfortunately, Igor keeps quite a busy schedule, and simply didn't have the time for any of the ideas to materialize.

Dr. Mazhar and I also shared various techniques to improve our puzzle solving skills. I'm better at optimizing, and drmazhar was better at stacking and painting; so it was mutually beneficial. The most enlightening things he taught me were methods for solving 'spring' and 'speed control' puzzles. The biggest eye-opener that I showed him was that 'wiggling' is often the main optimization technique required for shortest solutions. When Dr. Mazhar would apply this technique, he simply called it 'magic'.

Robozzle aside, the biggest impact Dr. Mazhar has had on me stems from him just being such a nice guy. There's an old saying, "If you build it, they will come." When I started making puzzles, it felt like, "If you submit it, they will insult you." As many of you know, I responded with backlash, engaging in some pretty brutal exchanges with other players. Of course, Dr. Mazhar has designed more puzzles than anyone (as of this writing), so he has also received his share of criticism. But drmazhar, to my knowledge, always responded with grace, or simply didn't respond. I deeply regret that I often failed to hold myself to this standard, and wish I had been more like drmazhar. I've said some mean things to other players, and I'm truly sorry to the people I have insulted. I know that Dr. Mazhar had wished for more positive interactions among players; and I want to do my best to grant him this.

Dr. Mazhar made massive contributions to Robozzle, and his well-known "advice" has certainly helped develop many players' skills. The players will miss him. I miss him.

Rest in peace, my friend.

jnpollack, 1 month ago.

Previous page (1 / 1) Next page

©2009 Igor Ostrovsky and other contributors. Terms of use